Catskill Community Players Announce
“VANYA AND SONIA AND MASHA AND SPIKE”
Written by Christopher Durang
Directed by Nancy Bondurant-Couch
- Held at First United Methodist Church, 66 Chestnut St., Oneonta
o Please bring a print out of your schedule/conflicts/commitments
- THURSDAY, March 3 at 7:00 pm
- SATURDAY, March 5 at 2:00 pm
- If you want to audition but unable to attend either time, please contact the director for an alternate date/time to audition:
o or call 607-433-0575
- MAY 13-15, at the Wieting Theatre in Worcester, NY, combined with Pre-Show Dinner at the Worcester Inn.
Middle-aged siblings Vanya and Sonia share a home in Bucks County, PA, where they bicker and complain about the circumstances of their lives. Suddenly, their movie-star sister, Masha, swoops in with her new boy toy, Spike. Old resentments flare up, eventually leading to threats to sell the house. Also on the scene are sassy maid Cassandra, who can predict the future, and a lovely young aspiring actress named Nina, whose prettiness somewhat worries the imperious Masha.
— Winner of the 2013 Tony Award for Best Play.
Character Descriptions (2 male, 4 female):
- Vanya: 50s, lives in Bucks County with Sonia, his adopted sister; resigned to his life, more or less, at least compared to Sonia
- Sonia: early 50s, lives in Bucks County with Vanya; discontent, upset, regretful
- Masha: 50s, Vanya and Sonia’s sister; a B-list movie actress who gallivants around the world. She has had five failed marriages and has recently taken up with a young actor, Spike.
- Spike: 29, Masha’s new companion; an aspiring actor who’s friendly, sexy, very well built and self-absorbed
- Nina: 20s, niece of Vanya and Sonia’s neighbors; an energetic and sincere would-be actress who is star struck by Masha
- Cassandra: (any age) Vanya and Sonia’s odd housekeeper; a soothsayer who often makes ominous predictions
- All roles are open. Performers of all ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to attend.
- Everyone of college age and above is welcomed to audition.
Nancy Bondurant-Couch also directed ALMOST MAINE for CCP in November, and also has to her credits other plays in the community including some for Orpheus Theatre and Oneonta High School productions from 2006-2014, and. She currently teaches at SUNY Oneonta and Hartwick College.
Back Up Plan
In the event that we are unable to cast VANYA and SONYA and MASHA and SPIKE, the back-up choice will be “DUETS: A comedy in four acts” by Peter Quilter which is billed as an examination of the chaotic world of love, relationships and why the “grass is never greener.”
Flexible rehearsal dates, times and locations will be arranged after casting.
TECH & DRESS REHEARSALS: Will be scheduled between May 6 – 12